Did you know...
Argotec is the driving technical force in today's polyurethane film industry because we are willing to invest the time, resources, and commitment to listen to and help make our customers a success.
Polyurethane is a high-performance polymer engineered for the most demanding applications where failure is not an option.
POLYURETHANE . . . SPECIALTY OF THE HOUSE
While Argotec produces film & sheet from the variety of difficult to extrude polymers shown above, our specialty is thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), a high-performance material possessing many of the desirable qualities of a thermoset rubber, but with advantageous physical characteristics of a thermoplastic.
A critical difference between urethane and vinyl film, however, is that TPU has no plasticizers to leach out and cause allergic reactions or embrittlement over time. Thus, products made from polyurethane film & sheet retain long-term flexibility and outstanding shelf life.
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES THAT GIVE ENGINEERS OUTSTANDING DESIGN FLEXIBILITY
Polyurethane possesses a combination of physical properties not available
in other thermoplastic materials or synthetic rubbers, including:
- Abrasion resistance for physically punishing, high-wear applications.
- UV resistance without yellowing or embrittlement.
- Tensile strength (4,000 to 8,000 psi) adds to reliability and durability over the life of the product in which the film is used.
- Up to 800% elongation and return (memory).
- Durometers (hardness) from very soft to very hard (75A to 92D).
- Resistance to hydrocarbons, chemicals, ozone, bacteria, and fungus make it ideal for tough industrial environments.
- Waterproof, yet breathable for use in performance apparel, bedding, transdermal and wound care applications.
- Resistance to skin oils, yet has good "hand" or "feel" when in contact with the skin.
- Easily fabricated using thermal bonding, laminating, die cutting, radio frequency (RF) sealing or vacuum forming.
Typically, when two or more of these properties are required for an application, polyurethane is the material of choice.